St. Andrew’s Church is situated in the village of Trowse, just outside the city of Norwich. It was probably founded in the year 1281 by William de Kirby, Prior of Norwich, and consisted of that part known as the chancel.

The tower was added in the 15th. Century, as well as the south porch and nave.

The font is 15th. century and is the only original piece of church furnishing remaining.
By 1899 the church was derelict - the box pews were rotting, the roof leaked, the three decker pulpit was a ruin, the legs of the altar were tied up with string, the old gallery at the west end was supported on worm-eaten pillars, and the steps to it had been repaired with old boards containing the Ten Commandments. It is thanks to the vicar at the time, William Macnaughton-Jones, that the building was restored.

In 1903 the south wall and pulpit were restored and the 16th. century Dutch wooden figures added at the base of the pulpit.

To 'About Our Church 2' on next page...